As a parent, you play an important role in helping your children have safe and positive experiences online. By becoming aware of how young people interact online and some of the risks they face, you can guide your children with strategies to get the benefits of going online while avoiding the many of the risks.
Below are links to information, tips and advice to help you and your family make the most of being online.
Created by the Australian Office of the eSafety Commissioner, iParent gives information and advice on a range of topics:
- Screen Smart Parent Tour - for parents of pre-teens and young teens. It has plenty of tips and practical steps along the way so you can help your child explore safely and manage online issues should they arise. This is especially important at this age as they strive for independence and peer acceptance.
- Big issues such as cyberbullying, social networking, balancing time online.
- Online risks, staying safe, multimedia reviews, online safeguards.
- Reviews of apps, movies, TV programs, with advice re age appropriateness.
- Family guides, parent concerns.
Cybersafety Project Blog
- Up to date information about about new trends
- Effective strategies to maintain safe and respectful digital behaviours.
Google Safety Centre
- Learn about Google safety tools designed to help you manage the security and privacy of your personal data.
- Help your family build good online safety habits with tools from Google and advice from their family safety partners.